Is Your Holiday Home Gas Safe?

As members of the British Holiday and Home Parks Association (BH&HPA) we are committed to the importance of advising our customers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) risks.  CO is poisonous and known as the “invisible killer” since it is colourless, tasteless and odourless.  It is produced when carbon (including gas, wood, oil or barbecue coals) is burned with insufficient oxygen.  Poisoning happens when CO is inhaled, even at very low levels.

Whilst we as members, manage the gas systems to ensure safety of our customers in rented and letting units, for privately owned park homes and caravan holiday homes, this is the responsibility of their owners.  A leaflet explaining the necessary steps is available to provide essential information to our customers.  Its guidance encourages the fitting of an audible CO detector and includes the need for annual checks by a properly qualified engineer and the dangers of blocking ventilation.  You can find more information from the BH&HPA or download the leaflet here. There is also a leaflet for tents and awnings which is available here.